OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7 Pro users can finally get a taste of Android 11-based OxygenOS 11 via the newly-introduced open beta. While the OnePlus 8 got its update on time, OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7 Pro users had to wait for their Android 11 update a bit longer. OnePlus apologized for the delay and said that the delay was due to OxygenOS 11 running into some issues with both phones. Now that the open beta has been opened up, it shouldn’t be long before OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7 Pro users receive a stable update. Here’s the complete list of changes that OxygenOS 11 brings.
- Update to OxygenOS 11 version
- Fresh new UI visual design brings you a more comfortable experience with various optimizations of details
- Optimize the stability of some third-party applications and improve the experience
- Updated the camera UI and optimized some of the function paths to offer more convenient operation
- Newly added HEVC codec to reduce video storage size seamlessly, capture and shoot more without compromising on quality
- Newly added access to a third-party app to share the picture by pressing and holding it in preview
- Newly added the quick access to recording mode by pressing and holding the shutter button and by sliding the button, you can easily zoom in or zoom out
- Newly added the playback display in Time-lapse mode to show the actual filming time
- Ambient Display
- Newly added Insight clock style, a joint creation with Parsons School of Design. It will change according to the phone usage data ( To set: Settings > Customization > Clock Style)
- Newly added Canvas feature that can automatically draw a wireframe picture based on a lock screen photo on your phone（Path：Settings-Customization-Wallpaper-Canvas-Choose photo preview and it can be generated automatically）
- Always-On-Display feature is under internal test and will be released in subsequent versions. In this build, you can use the “Ambient Display” by picking up your phone or tapping the screen, it can be turned on in the Settings.
- Dark Mode
- Added the shortcut key for Dark Mode, pull down the quick setting to enable.
- Supporting automatically turn on feature & customize time range. path: Settings – Display – Dark Mode – Turn on automatically – Automatically enable from sunset to sunrise / Custom time range
- Newly shelf interface design, the interface is clearer
- Added weather widget, animation effect smarter
- Supporting Story function, automatically form weekly videos with photos and video in storage
- Optimize the loading speed of the gallery, and the image preview is faster
Before scrambling to install the build of OxygenOS 11 on your OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7T, bear in mind that this is a beta version of the software intended for developers to test their apps. Beta software is often unstable and comes with a laundry list of bugs, some of which include increased power consumption (resulting in reduced battery life), screen brightness not adjusting itself properly, inability to play sounds when connected to a Bluetooth device and janky gallery app performance. Additional issues might pop up as time passes.
Do note that several third-party apps might not work as intended on your OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7T. It is good practice to back up important data before attempting to install major upgrades. Should you not find OxygenOS 11 to your liking and want to get back to OxygenOS 10, a complete wipe of the device will be required. If you want to take OxygenOS 11 for a spin, the OnePlus forum post has a step-by-step guide on how to install it on your device.