Since its introduction in 2010, Instagram has become one of the biggest social platforms. The network, which was first focused only on photo sharing, now has chat, stories and shopping features. Instagram is a hit among all age groups and is used by millions of people every day. Instagram now also acts as a business tool for influencers and companies, targeting a wide variety of consumers on the market.But what if you wanted to leave the media and delete your Instagram account? What if you wanted to quit Instagram entirely? In Instagram’s Android and iOS apps, there is no option found that allows you to delete your account. Still, there is a way.
With this how-to guide, I will show you how to delete or temporarily disable your Instagram account, how to save your Instagram photos and how to log out of Instagram.
How to delete your Instagram account
There are two ways to turn off your Instagram account. The first one is to delete your Instagram account permanently. By deleting your account permanently, you are giving up the right to ever recover it, and Instagram will delete all of your information from its database. The second way to “delete” your account is to temporarily disable it. This means that your account will no longer appear on the network and will be virtually non-existent, but you will always have the option to enable it again.
How to delete your Instagram on iPhone permanently
To delete your account on an iOS device:
How to download your Instagram photos
How to download your Instagram photos on iPhone or Android
To download the photos you uploaded on Instagram:
- You open the mobile app.
- From there you go to your profile section and tap on options, which can be found in the top right corner appearing as three dash lines.
- Then you tap on “Settings”.
- Then tap on “Security”
- And then you tap on “Download Data”.
- From there you click on “Request Download” and in 48 hours time Instagram will email you a link to a file containing your photos, comments and profile information.
How to download your Instagram photos on a PC
If you want to download your Instagram photos to a PC:
- You open Instagram.
- From there you click on your profile photo in the top right corner.
- After that you click on “Settings”.
- Then click on “Privacy and Security”.
- Then you scroll down until you find the “Data Download” option, which contains a button called “Request Download”.
- You click on the “Request Download” button.
- Then you choose if you want your data to be formatted in HTML or JSON format.
- Click on “Next”, type in your password.
- Then what’s left is to click the “Request Download” button again and your information will be sent to your email in 48 hours.
How to log out of your Instagram account
How to log out of Instagram on iOS or Android
To log out of your account:
- You open the Instagram app.
- Then you click on your profile section.
- From there you click on “Options”, which can be found in the top right corner appearing as three dash lines.
- After that you click on “Settings” and scroll down until you see the “Log Out” button.
- You tap it once, then tap again on Log Out and you’re done.
Note that if you want your profile to be forgotten from the device after you logged out, you should:
- Click on the Edit button found on the login page of your Instagram app.
- After that, you click on the X symbol, which is on the right side of the “Log In” button of your account and you are forgotten from the app.
Also note that if your sign-in info is saved on the keychain feature of your Google or Apple ID account, your account information will not be fully forgotten from the device.
How to log out of Instagram on a PC
- You go to Instagram.
- After that, you click on your profile picture in the top right corner.
- Then you click on the Log Out button.
Note that if your sign-in info is saved on the keychain feature of your browser, your account information will not be fully forgotten from the device.